Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pokie's Injury

Pokie got stuck in a piece of bamboo and injured her skin by the base of her tail. As you can see in the picture below it looks pretty bad.
Being my first Day Gekco, and never dealing with an injury like this I decided to ask some question on a gecko forum....I should have known better.

For years I have ran a goldfish site and ended up closing down the forum area due to the abrasivenesses and rudeness of a few members.

Shortly have getting Pokie I had joined a forum for Day Gecko's. The site had a handful of nice people while the vast majority where just plain rude and mean spirited.

With her getting this injury I decided to try one of the larger gecko sites on the internet. Some of the names I recognized from the other site, but I figured more members, maybe some good advice.

Most said not do anything, so I contacted a Veterinarian and was told to clean the wound with Betadine and to apply Neosporin, which I did.

The replies back from some of the memebers where horrifying...from "Geckos in nature don't get wound ointment" to "multiple people have had experience with this situation, I advice you listen to them before you kill your gecko....last thing you should do at the moment is take her to a vet. Most vets don't have experience with day geckos, even exotic vets...she will be stressed to death."

Against their advice I placed Pokie in a Tupperware container, put her under my winter jacket, and brought her to a veterinarian. The veterinarian gave her a shot of Baytril, cleaned her wound and removed dead skin, then applied a liquid bandage.

She is now back to climbing on bamboo, eating and her wound is healing....so what have I learned...I would rather take the advice of a reptile veterinarian with over 15 years experience than a bunch of kids on internet who "think" that they know everything about Gecko care.

So a word of caution.....many people on forums tend to repeat the same mantra of bad advice that they have heard over and over again. Just because someone makes a lot of post on a forum you can not believe that they are a "guru" or an "expert"....they are just someone with a lot of free time on their hands.

Here is a picture of Pokie from a few ago, and she is doing great.....as you can see,
I did not "kill my gecko" by seeking proper medical care, I may saved her.

No comments: